9.23.2009

Red Carpet Review ~ Emmy Awards

Can I just say, I had a helluva hangover on Sunday from a night that we planned on keeping low key and in turn ended up taking three shots at the bar which included a last call round of tequila? Yeah, basically I was a tired Tanya and struggled to keep my eyes open during the ceremony. However, I was awake for the red carpet, and present my faves and not so much selections...

Best in Show:

all images by Frazer Harrison & Jason Merritt of Getty Images (click to enlarge images)

Toni Collete stunned in her coral gown and thank goodness she picked that dress because she looked incredible onstage accepting her award for best actress in a comedy. I gasped when I saw January Jones looking the exact opposite of her character Betty Draper. The dress was intense, artsy and phenomenal (loved the risk she took). Lastly of course was the youthful and sexy Blake Lively. The dress made my eyes bulge a bit but she pulled it off with class and a bit of playfulness. Wowza!


Shimmery Goodness:

These ladies looked incredible in varying shades of silver. Kate Walsh always looks incredible in my eyes, and at first I was like, "what's up with the casual hair" but then she explained it was chosen by a Suave Hair Care Vote and her cute clutch she carried was $30 at Aldo. Gotta love a budget savvy lady! Kara DioGuardi look classy and chic with just a peep of silver and that Mariska Hargitay never disappoints on the red carpet with a form fitting classy silver flecked gown. She is just such a class act!


Bold & Beautiful:

Blending in with the crowd was not an option for these ladies as they stepped onto the red carpet in eye popping colors. Ginnifer Goodwin could have done more with her makeup and hair but her dress complimented her skin tone and slender body lovely. I thought Debra Messing looks like a Hollywood Goddess in this red sparkly gown but was disappointed to hear fashion critics say it was "boring" and "safe". It's red for goodness sake and she looks incredible in it! Back off! The frickin' adorable Lindsay Price looked splendid in purple and her hair couldn't have been any shinier! I loved her dress because it was very different from anything I have seen in awhile and of course fit her perfectly.


Worst In Show:

I really wanted to try and like Olivia Wilde's dress. I kept turning my head at the TV as if I was trying to understand it and for the life of me, I just did not like it. Her makeup however was stunning and in the past she has always wowed me with her selections, so I give her a pass for this awards show. Padma, Padma, Padma....what were you thinking! I looked at the TV and just shouted "blech". She is possibly one of the most beautiful women on TV (or out there in general) and her hair looked like it was going to take over her head any minute and the dress was just ill fitting. The red flowers, the weird pieces hanging over her shoulder, not good. And Kristen Wiig...I adore you but this dress is just so silly and awful and gross. She looked so witchy and Morticia Adams like. Luckily with her sense of humor, I am sure she can throw up her shoulders and just say, "Oops...Sorry" like her character Gilly. Alas, no luck.

Overall I wasn't blown away by any of the fashion and the makeup and hair styles were just ok. I wanted all the actresses to have a little more blush and a little more lip gloss. Let's hope we see more goodies come January when the "real" award season begins. What did you think? Who were your faves and least faves?

12 comments:

Erin said...

I just seriously laughed so hard at your comments about Kristen Wiig's dress - perfect description! Just imagining the things Gill would have said make me laugh so hard.

Christina said...

I'm so glad you put Olivia Wilde's dress in the Worst in Show category. Sooo many people raved about the dress and I HATED it. There is absolutely nothing cute or chic about that cut out.

Anonymous said...

I also love you have put Olivia's dress among piores.Achei it very bad. For me the best dressed of the night is to Mariska Hargitay Hargitay.Aliás impressed me this year for the hairstyles I see it paraded as a goddess on the red carpet.

Anonymous said...

Love actress Kate Walsh but her dress was ugly. It looked like a curtain and left without the bust and waist grossa.Não liked. Mariska simply perfect.

Anonymous said...

Mariska, simply perfeita.Uma goddess.

Luci said...

I LOVED January Jones. Her dress was visually compelling and just gorgeous.


Mila Kunis was also a favorite. I love that she tried something different, and the color was beautiful.


I did not enjoy Blake Lively's dress. She always throws the boobs and legs out there, and it's too much. One or the other! Haha

Anonymous said...

i loved January Jones . a lot.

kara's dress was a pleasant suprise as well. and i want ABS to knock off chloe sevigny's polka dot mizrahi! ugh i die.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

I agree w/ most of your comments here.. I wonder about Ginnifer's...I like the overall look and I get where she was going...but I almost think the dress doesn't fit her right? It looks too baggy to me.

Justine said...

Really Padma? The dress looks like she bought it from Wet Seal and then went and picked flowers from her garden and glued them on. She is my favorite TV host but I just can't understand what she was thinking.

Michelle said...

Agree! Loved Kate Walsh, Mariska Hargitay & Toni Collette! I also lol's at Gilly, imagining her going "Sorry" in her creepy Gilly voice, I love it. Her dress was super hating it, luckily she's so funny it doesn't matter :)

Shelby said...

Totally agree! Especially about Olivia Wilde. I have such a girl crush on her and she usually nails it. But when I saw her on Sunday night I too did a, "Huh?" kind of thing. Not my cup of tea. A little to figure skater for me.

jamieofalltrades said...

I love January Jones dress!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin