9.05.2008

9-0-No They Didn't.....

It is with a heavy heart that I report to ya'll that the "New" 90210, is not cutting it in my books...like not even close.

I watched the series premiere on Tuesday, and was saddened that it just didn't do it for me. However, I had many things on my mind (as my softball team had just been crushed in our game) and figured I may need to give it another chance. Well that chance came last night with the repeat of the series premiere. I didn't make it past the first half hour.

Symptoms:
  • Cheesy main characters Annie and Dixon from Kansas who are NOT Brandon and Brenda
  • Mom and Dad (whilst very attractive) very unbelievable as Annie & Dixon's rents (is it even cool to say rents anymore?)
  • All the girls are SOOOOOOOO skinny. I mean, scary skinny. I can appreciate thin, and slender but these girls were too, too, thin.
  • The whole teacher/student relationship with Naomi & Ryan Matthews - really?
  • The acting - OTT (Over The Top) and so not natural
  • Annie's convo with her mom on the cell phone in the car with cute boy really ruined it for me (ahem- he is in the car with you)
  • What did they do to the Peach Pit??????

Treatment:

  • Keep Kelly & Brenda in the major plot lines, they were in the original and why we still watch
  • I like this girl who steals money from Naomi - expand on her some more
  • Silver (Kelly and David's little sis Erin) has got some potential to be a character we can all root for
  • Bring in some guest appearances (Donna, Steve, Celeste, Claire, Valerie) and have them stir it up
  • Slow down the story lines, help us like the main characters and give it some substance. It will never be Gossip Girl, so let's try to make it something new and fresh

That's all folks. I will be tuning in next week to see the return of Jackie Taylor (AWESOME) and to see if it has improved at all.

What were your thoughts? Love it? Hate it? Tuning in next week?

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

I'm hating it. I watched in hopeful anticipation as well, only to have my hopes dashed. I just don't like how fake everything sounds. Everything seemed so real and natural on the original. The lines on the new show seems so forced and unnatural.

We'll see how the plot develops. Most of my students are watching it, so it is fun to have something to talk about with them.

All I have to say is, "Bring Donna Martin back!"

amanda said...

This show was HIGHLY
anticipated for me
allll summer long.
I couldn't wait.
I watched...and eh.
They will never be
the original...but I felt
like they didn't even
quite compare. Psh.

I loved that there was
an appearance from Hannah
Zuckerman...thought that
was cute and made me
happy. And I LOVE the idea
of Kelly and Davids little
sister being a part of it...
shes super cute!

As far as I'm concerned...
Brenda, Nat and Kelly were
the best part. I loved seeing
them reunite.

And will continue to give
it a try...yay for the
return of Jackie...and yay
for the hope of more returning
originals!

Unknown said...

I wasn't a huge fan either. I totally agree about the sickly skinny stick figure girls they've got on the show- especially the girl who plays Silver- get that girl a cheeseburger!

Holly said...

i agree with jessica, the actress that plays silver is insanely skinny :( not a good look

Lyndsy said...

I am so glad I am not alone in thinking a)the girls are too skinny b) the original cast members are what make it worth watching and c) that the acting is awful.

It may be REALLY difficult to continue watching! Thanks for all your feedback!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin