3.30.2010

Daily Goods Part III

Hello my little beauties! Today I close up my daily goods postings with all the other random, miscellaneous stuff I use.

Eyebrows:

I totally forgot one vital piece in my previous post about eyes that I couldn't live without. Benefit's Brow Zingsin light is a must have for me. I have blonde (almost white) eyebrows and I feel absolutely naked without darkening my eyebrows. I went the longest time without doing it, and then got them tinted every month and then tried to find my perfect at home color and nothing worked. Until I was browsing Bloomie's and the guy at the Benefit counter did me a favor and introduced me to this product 4 years ago. No turning back. The color is spot on and make my brows look normal and non-clown like (major plus). If you are not darkening your brows or filling them in, I really must insist that you give this product a try, you will be amazed at how many people comment about you looking different (in a good way) and they won't be able to figure out what it is!

Lips:
I am constantly hunting the perfect lip gloss color with the right texture and cannot share one I love with you as I am currently still hunting (any suggestions for a pretty pink I can wear everyday that isn't sticky?). What I can share with you is the product that I do use daily on my lips, which is the Smith'sRosebud Salve Strawberry Lip Balm. I have been using this product since I moved to LA (almost 7 years ago - EEKS!) and I just love it. It provides a pretty sheen and hint of color but keeps my lips moisturized and plump. I use the Minted Rose at work and am kind of dying to try the Menthol Eucalyptus pot next winter.

Shampoo:
I have tried numerous shampoos that promise shiny, voluminous hair for my fine natural blonde head and have been disappointed numerous times. I finally tried John Freida's
Luxurious Volume Shampoo and I am quite the happy camper. I can usually find it on sale for less than $7 a bottle and the bottle lasts me quite some time.

Now I'm not complaining about having naturally blonde hair (the money I save makes me mucho happy) but one negative is that the tiniest bit of chlorine turns my hair a lovely shade of green. Unfortunately it seems as though my apartment has an usually high amount of chlorine in the water and my hair has developed a tint of green to it. I checked in with my stylist Mrs. F and she recommended a purple shampoo to help with the problem. I picked up a bottle of Rene Furterer Okara Mild Silver Shampoo and can proudly say, problem has been solved.

I also think my lack of green hair has something to do with Bumble & Bumble's Sunday Shampoo which I use once or twice a week. This product is fab for getting out all the product you use in your hair and also removing chlorine.

Conditioner:

I love Bumble & Bumble's Thickening Conditioner for my fine locks. It conditions without leaving my hair greasy and a little goes a very long way. I have stopped searching for conditioner as this guy is my perfect match.

Thickening Spray:
Besides hairspray I really don't put much in my hair because it tends to get weighed down easily. I used to only use the Bumble & Bumble Thickening Spray but tried out John Freida's Luxurious Volume Root Booster Spray and it appears to me that it achieves the same results at a fraction of the cost. I spray a little of this into my roots after towel drying my hair and then proceed to round brush my hair for the day. It definitely helps!

Hairspray:
Hairspray is another product that I am always trying to find. And every time I try something new, I am always wishing I would have just stuck to my all time fave which is Bed Head's Hard Head. It has a pleasant sent, isn't too sticky but provides enough hold to curl my hair as well as lock my bangs into place without then sticking together all weird. My stylist Mrs. F always shakes her head when she sees me using another brand, as she also says it is the best hairspray on the market.

Dry Shampoo:

Let's be honest ladies, we don't always have time to wash our hair everyday (and really it isn't good for your hair to do so), but we don't want to roll around town or the office with greasy hair that screams "I overslept this morning and only had time for a body shower" or "I had a overnight sleepover and came straight to the office" do we? No, we don't. Enter Dry Shampoo. How did we go so long without this product? In high school I always used baby shower but inevitably ended up smelling like a baby and having a really white scalp. No good.

I have tried many dry shampoos on the market and still love the first one I was introduced to by Mrs. R the best. Batiste Dry Shampoo is an absolute dream! The pink bottle smells just like Michael Kors perfume and just a spray here and a spray there will not only have you out the door in a jiffy but have you smelling pretty. The bottle will cost you less than $11 and last me on average about a month. Best news! They just started selling travel size so that you can include it on your carry on. Fantastic!!

Deodorant:
I know that sweating is a good thing, it means your body is functioning the right way and all, but let's face it, sweat is gross. Which is why I use Secret's Clinical Strength Waterproof Deodorant. Now I'm not saying I'm a big sweater, but in times of stress and extreme heat, it happens. This puppy works like a charm. No sweat stains, even if I am sweating it inside. I've tried almost all the other "clinical deodorants" on the market, and this one is by far the best.

Body Lotion:
For everyday use, this lotion rules. Lightly scented, highly moisturizing and priced great, you cannot go wrong with this lotion. I especially love it in the summer as it gives you legs just a little extra sheen with your tan (fake or real).

I try to keep my scented lotions for the weekends or after work (no one wants to be overpowered by your scent) and was introduced to this yummy vacation in a bottle scented Coconut Milk Body Lotion from The Body Shop by Mrs. R. It seriously smells so good, goes on super easy (it's a spray bottle - gotta love that) and it's light and luxurious. When you walk past people they will think you have just come from the beach. Yummy and tropical smelling.

Perfume:
Scent is such a personal thing. Have you ever thought someone smelled so good and then asked them what they were wearing and one of two things usually happens?

1) They "forget" what they put on because they don't want you copying their smell. Signature scents are important to folks.

2) They tell you, and you rush to your local Sephora or wherever you buy perfume and spritz yourself with the goods only to find out it stinks on you and doesn't smell anything close to what it did on them?

Both things have happened to me, which is why I am glad to have found at least one "signature scent" for myself (even if I copied my girl Felicity to find it). Burberry Classic is that scent for me. I can wear it all year round and I ALWAYS get complimented and asked what I am wearing. It is a yummy perfume that I am sadly running very low on, that I will continue to wear on through the years.


And my dears, that's it. All three parts of my go to beauty products. Again I must clarify that I don't use all of these products all together in one day, but they are always stocked for my use. I hope I have provided you with some new products to try and if you have any recommendations or alternates for the products above that you can't live without please do share!

XOXO

14 comments:

Katie said...

I love how you did these posts. I am such a product junkie. Ok, 2 things: where do you purchase that dry shampoo? I ahve tried everything from sephora and I like them they are just way too expensive.
Also, a great lip gloss, I don't like sticky, glossy ones, I found MAC lip conditioner years back and I love it. It comes in a pot and the colors are great. It is like a really conditioning balm but with good color, not just tint. Its the best!

Mama Debs said...

Lynn, I found a dry shampoo I like better. It's by TIGI, called Rockaholic, Dirty Secret dry shampoo. It's 6.3 ounces you can buy it at a beauty supply for about $18, I get it for $9 because of your sister. Lasts a really long time. I get tons of compliments on how my hair looks on 2nd day hair. The fragrance isn't as nice but it's not offense either.

Amber's Notebook said...

I love these posts because I am so clueless when it comes to all things beauty so posts like this REALLY help me out

Amber's Notebook said...

img and I wear burberry classic!! No one else ever knows what it is!!

jamieofalltrades said...

I'm one of those crazy people who has to wash her hair every day. i'm trying to not wash it as often, so I've been using the Batiste. I love the trial size, less of a commitment. :)

Megan, Ryan, Addi & Brady said...

I really love your product reviews and much like my folder of "Jackie's Joy" recipes, I have decided I need to create a folder called the "YBB Product Guide" and take it with me where ever I go. Thanks for all the great advice!

Marit said...

I am also always on the look out for a great lip gloss...my favorites have been:

1. Bare Escentuals Buxom Big & Healthy Lip Polish in Dolly (although this gloss is a tad on the sticky side).
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2930678/0~2377897~2377898~6020563~6008443?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6008443&P=1
I LOVE the minty feel of it and the plumping action! The color is PERFECT too.

2. The other I have used for YEARS is basic Clinique Long Last Glosswear, this is not sticky at all.
http://www.clinique.com/product/CATEGORY4901/PROD13113/Makeup/Lip_Glosses/index.tmpl
This comes in every shade under the sun and I have one for every occasion, and one in every bag.

I'm just not a fan of the pot glosses becuase I don't like messy-ing up my finger, I just prefer a wand.

Jennifer said...

I actually read somewhere that perfumes smell different on different people because of their skin type/hormones/etc. I found that to be very interesting! I wear Burberry Brit & love it!

Olivia said...

Thank you!! I love this post. So helpful to hear from others about products out there!!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I read this right before heading to the store mostly for deodorant! How did you know my Soft and Dri was, um, not working?

Deb

Anonymous said...

That strawberry lip balm looks absolutely delicious, and I need to get my hands on bumble and bumble. I've heard nothing but good reviews.

Michelle said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I LOVE knowing which products you like. Then I will already know and not have to email you girls desperately when I am standing in the aisle at Target again! :) Thanks friend, excellent tips!

Karen said...

this is so great, thanks, Lynds!!

Lyndsy said...

K ~ I pick up the Batiste at Sally's Beauty Supply. But looking on Amazon.com they sell it pretty cheap, so I would try stocking up there!

Mama Debs ~ I have actually used it and I like the product, I just don't enjoy the scent and the price tag. Worth trying a 2nd time though! Especially if Kelsey can get a discount!

Amber ~ Isn't it the best fragrance? No one else I know wears it either!

Jamie ~ Glad you are trying it out. It is seriously fab, and I think with your dark locks you can get away with it!

Megan ~ You are so cute! I am glad you are liking the reveiws! I will definitely keep them coming as I try more things.

Marit ~ Thanks for the lip gloss rec's! I have been kind of dying to try bare essentials, so the gloss is a good place to start!

Jennifer ~ I have heard the same thing. It still is frustrating though when I smell a scent I love and then it smells nothing like that on me :)

Olivia ~ You're welcome! Thanks for checking out my blog!

Designstiles ~ The lip balm is so yummy and you really cannot go wrong with bumble and bumble!

Michelle & Karen ~ Anytime ladies! And I most definitely do not mind the Target emails!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin