8.04.2010

Summer Essentials Series ~ Let's Be Honest

Happy Hump day to all!  This week is going by already so fast - I like it!  Today Mariana over at Let's Be Honest is sharing her summer essentials.  Mariana is a friend via a friend.  Although I have never actually met Miss M, I can often be found cracking up reading her posts over on her blog.  She calls it like it is and is witty as all get out.  One of these days I swear I am going to meet up with her and have a drink and laugh the next time I am in Seattle.



*What beauty product will be with you at all times this summer 2010?*


My college roommate Alicia was a fanatic of Blistex Lip Balm Dct(Daily Conditioning Treatment) Spf 20, 0.25 Oz 3 Pack, or as she simply called it, lips. She had one in every coat pocket, every room of our apartment, in her car, backpack, purse and even one in her pillowcase. I am not quite as obsessed but I've looked around and have never found a comparable product. It's a staple in my cosmetic bag and my beach bag. It has SPF 20 which is super important given the rise in lip skin cancer. I recently heard a story on the radio about an increase in lip skin cancer rates due to the non-SPF products we use on our lips that dangerously intensify the sun's rays. This stuff will protect your lips and the best part is that it's only about $2 and it lasts forever.

*What are you craving for summer 2010?*



I had this amazing watermelon and Haloumi salad on a recent vacation and I've been dying to recreate it. I've patently been waiting for watermelon to be in season and finally was able to try it out on Father's Day. Haloumi cheese is a Greek cheese that has a really high meting point so you can grill it and it won't melt. You can find it at Whole Foods. It's amazing on its own but even better grilled. This salad is so easy to make and it came out really delicious. You simply soak red onion rings in lime juice. Cube the watermelon and grill the Haloumi over medium heat in a nonstick pan for about 3-5 minutes. When the cheese is nice and browned you toss it with the watermelon, lime juice and red onions and garnish it with a few mint leaves. Amazing.
*the picture is kind of grainy but you can see (hopefully) what a beautiful colorful salad this is!

*What is your essential summer song for summer 2010?*

Paul Simon's "Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes" reminds me of summer and always lifts my mood. It's one of my favorite songs and every time I hear it I wonder why I don't just have it on repeat all the time.

Thank you Mariana for sharing your summer essentials!  You now have me craving that watermelon salad which I am most definitely going to attempt and make one of these weekends.  Also, that Paul Simon song is totally summery and happy.  I have been in filing hell all day and that song just put a smile on my face.  If you want a good chuckle, be sure to head over to Let's Be Honest for your daily dose of witty honesty. 

I only have two more summer essential lists to share with ya'll, so be sure to check back tomorrow for Megan over at Lovely Happenings summer must haves!

2 comments:

littlemeah said...

I'd better get back to blogging if people are going to click your links!
Thanks for posting my faves and for sure we will get a drink next time you're up north. xo

Kris said...

Great song pic! That song also makes me insanely happy - love it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin