1.14.2009

Golden Globe Fashion

I am always a big fan of the Golden Globes. Television and movie stars sitting together at the Beverly Hilton, sipping champagne and mingling (sounds rough I know). I gathered with some of my girlfriends this past Sunday night for wine, apps, fashion and awards. Only the fashion was bit lacking in my opinion…Here’s my roundup.

Let’s start with my disappointments. The dresses were all so pretty…the colors however were dismal. I mean, everyone looked washed out and boring. Granted I am definitely biased towards colors, but all the dresses in nude, beige or cream just weren't all that flattering or fabulous to me.



Amanda Seyfried (in Stella McCartney), Penelope Cruz (in Armani Prive) and Angelina Jolie (in Versace) all opted for the same color family – boring (although I will give Angelina a slight edge over the other two since her dress was sparkly). While they all look beautiful, there just wasn’t any pizazz that made my eyes want to continue looking at them. Instead, I opted to look at these lovely ladies below…

I literally gasped out loud when I saw Cameron’s unique and perfectly pink Chanel dress. Her simple hair and fabulous toned arms (noted for resolution purposes) were perfection in every way. Olivia Wilde’s Reem Acra dress was a stunning shade of purple and romantic as ever. January Jones blue Versace almost had my eyes popping out of my head with curiosity. The dress was like no other dress I had seen before and the blue was amazing. She looked like an absolute star and the pockets of the dress were just the icing on the cake. Last but not least while I didn’t love the huge fluff on Eva Mendes Dior dress, I did love, love, love her necklace and thought the white against her skin was glamorous as all get out.


Although I loved all the dresses above, as soon as I saw Eva Longoria in her Reem Acra dress, I labeled her the winner hands down for the evening. She was recovering from a cold and STILL looked a million times better than most of the women on the red carpet. Equally beautiful and showing how to wear neutral colors the right way was Demi Moore in her Dior dress. Sparkles, interesting neckline, beautiful tan, simple hair, all equaled a success (having Ashton on your arm doesn’t hurt either).


Last but certainly not least, were the stars that made me gasp and look around the room with confusion as to what exactly they were thinking. Renee Zellweger two piece Carolina Herrera skirt and top combo was all wrong together. The skirt was gorgeous and made her look SO long on TV. However the top was sheer and showed off her weird bra/bustier thing. The color was gross, the fit not flattering and her hair, just a big mess. However, some might say her hair was better than Drew Barrymore. When she stepped out of the limo onto the red carpet my first words were, “What happened to her hair?” It looked as though she had stuck her finger in a light socket, took some hairspray to lock the look in and then threw on her beautiful John Galliano for Dior dress and walked out the door. I do love me some big hair, but even this was too much for me. I will give her credit however for rocking the look with pure confidence.

What did you think? Impressed, depressed? Sadly, the Golden Globes didn’t provide much eye candy for me, but the good thing is that there are many more award shows to go...Oscars anyone?

11 comments:

Shelby said...

Ha perfect post. I agree with you on all except Demi. I wasn't a fan. And I think Olivia Wilde was my fave of the night. Perfect recap!

Lets Pretend said...

My fav was Eva Mendes...loved the entire thing!
And all the flack that J.Lo is getting, I loved it, she's J.Lo, thats what I want her to look like!

Maria Killam said...

I agree with the beige on beige comment. Someone with black striking hair should never wear that colour cause it doesn't work, and Renee, what was up with that dress! Well I don't need to read anyone else's post now to get the great recap!

Anonymous said...

How stunning was Eva Mendes? That necklace was beautiful!

Michelle said...

Love this, perfect summary! I was dying when I saw Drew Barrymore's hair and Renee Zellweger (well, her whole overall "look'). Yuck. I loved Eva Longoria & Olivia Wilde.

Erin said...

Perfect recap of the night Lynds!

Anonymous said...

I totally felt like Angelina could have done her hair. It looks blah.

Anonymous said...

loved Cameron and Olivia as well. They were my favorite dresses. Wish we had a place we could wear dresses like that

Jaclyn Z. Reiss said...

fabulous post. you nailed it with Eva Mendes - despite the poof she looked AMAZING. the necklace with the bright white was tdf.

Anonymous said...

i LOVED camerons dress

Lyndsy said...

Anne & Jacklyn~ Eva's necklace was absolutely incredible. I am hoping she makes a knockoff for her line.

Sweet Nothings~ I hearted the color of Cam's dress and just everything!

Lucy & Madi ~ I totally agree about JLo. I thought she looked really pretty and totally JLo. Some people are just haters!

Erin, Lynne, Michelle & Shelby ~ Olivia was stunning, but for some reason, she didn't have the whole package for me...perhaps a necklace is what I was wishing for!

Thanks for checking in and your response ladies!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin