1.27.2009

SAG Awards: Brights, Camera, Fashion

Am I the only who thought the SAG awards were B-O-R-I-N-G? I watched Sunday evening with these lovely ladies and I could barely keep my eyes open (didn't help that I was partially hung-over).

I am thankful that stylists took note of how drab and boring all these lovely actresses looked at the Golden Globes and stepped it up a notch. The award show itself may have been dull; the fashion however, was anything but!

Photo Credit Left to Right: Jeff Vespa, Frazer Harrison, Steve Granitz, Granitz & Jason Merritt (click to enlarge all pics)

I’d like to think that perhaps my commentary on the Golden Globes bland neutrals had some effect on the abundance of color for the SAG Awards (wishful thinking I know). It was such a welcome change to see all of these women in amazingly, beautiful and brightly bold dresses. I mean Kate Winslet looked incredible in Narciso Rodriguez and had me craving to add some cobalt blue into my wardrobe. Viola Davis’ David Meister dress may have been simple, but the color and fit were impeccable (I am biased a bit towards yellow). The lovely Laura Linney in Michael Kors and Eva Longoria in Jenny Packham has me convinced that coral might just be a universally flattering color for anyone (try it yourself). Last, but most certainly not least, Miss Freida Pinto is turning out to be every designers dream model, as this periwinkle Marchesa dress shone on the red carpet.


Photo Credit Left to Right: Vespa, Granitz, Vespa

My faves for the evening were quite an eclectic bunch. Katrina Bowden looked fierce in Project Runway winner Christian Siriano. The dress fit her perfect, the color was electric and she just looked so effortless. Kyra Sedgwick was classic in black and white Chanel and the fit suited her very nicely. Last but not least, while I know some hated this dress, Marissa Tomei’s buttery gold Elie Saab dress had me swooning no just about the color but also the details of the shoulder fluff that ran all the way to the back. She looked good coming and going.


Photo Credit Left to Right: Granitz, Merritt, Merritt, Granitz

Now, this next bunch of gals all had something working against them that made their looks, in my opinion just not right. Penelope Cruz in Azzedine Alaia had the bottom of her dress looking good, but the top was not flattering. Emily Blunt (whom I think is ADORABLE) had the best accessory of the night on her arm (BF John Krasinski) but her Pamella Rolland dress with the tight updo had me wrinkling my nose in confusion, as it just wasn’t flattering. I have a huge girl crush on Tina Fey (hello who doesn’t?) and always am rooting for her to win any award she is nominated for – which would include worst dressed in this Brian Reyes strapless number. She didn’t look comfortable in it, it was WAY too casual for the awards show and the color was just ICK! Better luck next award show Tina! Last but not least was the beautiful Christina Applegate in Emanuel Ungaro. Her look definitely had me tilting my head to figure out what the exact offense was. The color was gorgeous and looked fantastic on her…so I am thinking it is either the cut of the dress I was crazy about or the jewelry.

I loved all of your responses to the Golden Globes fashion round up and am dying to hear what you thought of the SAG awards. Better than the Golden Globes? Who was your favorite, what did you hate? Who are you most excited to see for the Oscars? Any predictions?

Tootles for now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate did look great. Claire Danes wore a red dress that I loved. I think it could have been worn better than she did though...it was still beautiful though!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Katrina's dress is one of my favorites. I love the color. Perfect for hawaii :)

Jaclyn Z. Reiss said...

You are goooood...totally spot on with your reviews! Although, I have to say Katrina Bowden really needs to eat a sandwich.

Unknown said...

I missed the SAGs but after seeing pics I was really disappointed. (Bor-ing) Though I did think Kyra Sedgwick looked hot!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin